1. On October 11 of each year, Burundi joins other countries of the world to celebrate the International Day of the Girl. It’s a day of questioning, advocacy, awareness and commitment to the girl.
2. Today, the Burundian girl faces a major challenge: the non-completion of the school curriculum and consequently the non-arrival to her actual development.
3. This day comes at a time when the Government of Burundi is satisfied to have put in place a regulatory framework and mechanisms favorable to the promotion and protection of girls. We give an example of the introduction of the basic school. The merger of 6 years of primary and 3 years of high school into a single cycle that allows students to reach a certain maturity to understand the benefits of school in order to be graduated and on the other hand, to acquire the necessary skills enabling her to be effectively reintegrated into socio-economic life without difficulty.
4. Hence the theme of the celebration chosen for this year is: « Encourage the sustainable development of the Burundian girl ».
5. This theme calls on all actors working in the field of the promotion and protection of girls to invest more in the promotion of their rights, their protection and the creation of an environment conducive to His development.
6. Thus, when the girl receives equal treatment as her brother boy in the family receives a quality education and his rights are protected, it allows him to realize his dreams for life and to be able to participate effectively in development of the country and her family as a worthy mother after marriage.
7. It is in this context that the Government of Burundi is working to protect the rights of girls and to raise girls’ awareness of responsible and dignified behavior, as well as to carry out the activities of Self-development.
8. At the national level, the official ceremonies marking this day will take place on 11 October 2019 in Gitega, the political capital of the country, in the walls of the paramedical school of Gitega.
9. In this regard, we make a strong appeal to everyone to come massively to these ceremonies and to make this day dedicated to the girl, the expression of an encouragement for every girl who has to fight to get to her development.
10. We wish a happy birthday to all the girls
11. Thank you! God bless you !