By Elie HARINDAVYI
Ladies and gentlemen,
- On December 3rd of each year, the whole world celebrates the International Day for Disabled People.
2. To promote and protect the rights of persons with disabilities, several actions are carried out by the Government of the Republic of Burundi through the Ministry in charge of Human Rights, Social Affairs and Gender but also through other Ministries and sectorial structures. These include re-education and physical rehabilitation, training in various craft with the granting of mobility equipment, training in various crafts and granting the reintegration kit, support in income-generating activities to centers and associations for people with disabilities, the existence of pilot schools in the framework of inclusive education, free health care for mothers and children under 5 years, without leaving behind the various vaccines offered to children and mothers and which in one way or another contribute to disability prevention, etc.
3. A National Social Protection Policy and its implementation strategy have been established, and also the Social Protection Support Fund (FAPS). On March 26, 2014 the Government of Burundi ratified the International Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. It is a great pleasure to make this statement when the law on the promotion and protection of the rights of persons with disabilities was also promulgated on January 10 of this year.
4. Although so much has been done for people with disabilities, we still have a long way to go when we analyze the huge needs of this category of vulnerable people. That is why, in addition to the local solidarity day that was launched last year and this law which promoting and protecting the rights of people with disabilities, a National Disability Policy with its action plan have been elaborated.
5. We took this opportunity to thank in this statement any physical or moral person who work for the disabled person.
6. The solemn celebration is scheduled for Monday, December 03, 2018 and this day will be marked by the visit to the center of deaf people « EPHPHATA » as well as the validation of the National Policy of Persons with disabilities and its action plan.
7. To all disabled people, we tell them, very happy good feast!!
Thank you!! God bless you!!