- On October 15 of each year, Burundi joins with other countries of the world to celebrate World Rural Women’s Day since its institutionalization at the United Nations World Conference on Women, held in Beijing, China, 1995.
The objective pursued through the celebration of this Day is to highlight, once a year, the fundamental role of rural women in the society. It is an opportunity for various stakeholders to assess the step already taken in promoting the rights of rural women, to identify the existing opportunities as well as the challenges that hinder the full development of rural women in their daily lives.
- With the evolution of the world, while preserving the cultural value of her country, the rural woman on her side has undertook the way of economic development, in order to contribute, as a whole citizen of the nation, not only to his own development, but also to that of his country.
- The international theme is « Sustainable Infrastructure, Access to Public Services and Social Protection for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Rural Women and Girls », while at the national level the theme is: : « Support rural women’s access to sustainable infrastructure and social protection services ».
- This theme proposes to reflect on innovative ways to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment, particularly in the areas of social protection, access to public services and the construction of sustainable infrastructure.
6. The Theme comes at the right moment when the Government of Burundi dedicated this year to social protection, in order to advance this important sector that affects all sectors of human life. Significant progress has been made: we notably mention the implementation of the cash transfer program for more vulnerable households, including rural women, the establishment of the National Solidarity Day, the improvement of maternal health services and the child, quality education for all, sustainable community infrastructure such as roads, hospitals, markets, water fountains that improve women’s access to basic services, and so on.
7. At the national level, the official ceremonies marking this day will be held in Ngozi Province on October 18, 2019.
8. To this end, we make a strong appeal to all Burundians to make this day, the expression of recognition and encouragement for rural women pillar of sustainable development of the country.
9. We wish a happy birthday to all rural women.
10. Thank you. God bless you !