- On October 15 of each year, Burundi joins other countries of the world to celebrate World Rural Women’s Day since its institutionalization at the United Nations World Conference on Women, held in Beijing, China, 1995.
- The vital contribution of women in society is largely unknown. Thus, the creation of this World Day of Rural Women aims to change this situation by reminding society how much it owes them.
- The objective pursued through the celebration of this Day is to highlight, once a year, the fundamental role of rural women in society
- This Day offers an opportunity, on the one hand, for the rural woman to express herself, to share knowledge and experiences, and on the other hand, to the Government to sensitize the population to entrepreneurship, associative work and national cohesion, to sensitize partners to further supports the work of rural women.
- For this year, Burundi celebrates this day around the theme: « Rural women at the heart of action to fight against poverty and hunger« .
- The choice of this theme is justified in more than one way in the current context of Burundi, where rural women still facing different challenges such as, climate hazards, access to production factors, control of income touched with socio-cultural stereotypes,
- The celebration will be in the form of consultations, reflection and exchanges between women leaders in the field, development partners, decision-makers in different sectors of economic recovery to appreciate the current situation of rural women, opportunities persistent challenges to adopt strategies to strengthen the synergy of interventions.
- The World Rural Women’s Day will be celebrated on Monday, October 15, 2018 in the buildings of ICIZANYE Hotel, in MUYINGA Province.
- We call on all the population, the technical and financial partners to strengthen their support for the activities of rural women, pillars of the country’s development.
Happy celebration to all rural women, thank you, God bless you!