- On December 3rd of each year, the whole world celebrates the International Day for persons with disabilities.
- In order to promote and protect the rights of persons with disabilities, several actions are carried out by the Government of the Republic of Burundi through the Ministry of Human Rights, Social Affairs and Gender. These include rehabilitation and physical rehabilitation, the provision of mobility equipment, training in various crafts and the granting of the reintegration kit, support for income-generating activities to centers and associations for persons with disabilities, the existence of pilot schools in the context of inclusive education, etc.
3. On March 26, 2014, the Government of the Republic of Burundi ratified the International Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and on January 10, 2018, the Law on Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was promulgated. The National Policy on the rights of persons with disabilities and its action plan 2020-2024 was adopted by the Ministers’ Council held on June19, 2019.
4. Even though so much action has already been taken in order to overcome problems facing by the people with disabilities, but we still have long way to go considering the vast needs of this category of vulnerable people. This is why, in addition to the local solidarity day launched in 2018, all stakeholders in this area are invited to implement this National Policy with its action plan.
5. The solemn celebration is scheduled for Tuesday, 03 December 2019 at the Ingoma Stadium of Gitega, the political capital of Burundi, under the theme: « Promoting social participation of the people with disabilities and their power to act: one step at a time »
6. We invite the entire population of Burundi, especially those from Gitega province and its surrounding area, to participate massively in these ceremonies.
7. To all the people with disabilities, we tell them, happy celebration!! God bless you, thank you!!